Saulteau First Nations signs agreement with B.C. Hydro

first_imgB.C. Hydro says they have reached a deal with the Saulteau First Nations on the impacts of the Site C Dam.In a release Monday morning, Hydro says the deal was approved by a community vote that included a lump sum payment, an annual payment stream, contracting opportunities, Crown land transfers and protection of the Peace Boudreau and land area of importance to Saulteau First Nations.  Specifics of the deal have not been released.This is the first agreement between B.C. Hydro and a local First Nation.- Advertisement -Saulteau is a member of Treaty 8.  Other members of Treaty 8 have taken the B.C. Hydro to court.  A decision on Provincial Court case is expected this summer.  Members of Treaty 8 have also taken the Federal Government to court, that case is expected to start next week.Hydro is still moving forward with construction of the dam, which is expected to start this month.last_img read more

MLB NOTEBOOK Union has questions for Mitchell

first_imgFrom news services A lawyer for baseball players says George Mitchell never told the union before last week that he was willing to show its members evidence of doping allegations against them. Mitchell, who has spent 1 years investigating the use of performance-enhancing drugs in baseball, said Friday that he asked players to meet with him “for the purpose of directly providing them with the evidence about the allegations and to give them a chance to respond.” Union general counsel Michael Weiner said Tuesday that Mitchell only informed players of that stance during a meeting last week and in a letter Friday. Weiner wrote to the former Senate Majority leader on Tuesday asking him to clarify his position and to provide his timeframe for completing the investigation. Mitchell did not respond to requests for comment. Around the leagues Yankees: Joe Torre’s future remained unclear after team officials gathered at the home of owner George Steinbrenner to debate whether the manager should return for a 13th season. “The meetings are adjourned for tonight,” spokesman Howard Rubenstein said shortly after the session ended about 4 p.m. “There have been no decisions made, nor will there be any comment today. The meetings will resume tomorrow.” Steinbrenner told The Record of Hackensack, N.J., on Oct. 6 that he didn’t think he’d bring back the manager if the Yankees failed to advance to the AL Championship Series. Cleveland then eliminated New York in four games, sending New York to its third straight first-round exit. The owner’s sons, Hank and Hal, were seen at the owner’s house, along with son-in-law Felix Lopez. Yankees president Randy Levine, chief operating officer Lonn Trost, General Manager Brian Cashman and assistant general manager Jean Afterman also were in town. Red Sox: David Ortiz’s injured knee isn’t an issue to Boston manager Terry Francona. Ortiz said after Monday night’s 4-2 loss to the Cleveland Indians in Game 3 of the AL Championship Series that his right knee was swollen on Sunday but that the swelling subsided. He said he never considered sitting out the rest of the playoffs. Miscellany: The Colorado Rockies’ four-game sweep of the Arizona Diamondbacks drew an average 2.8 rating for all households and a 3.3 for homes with TBS. The previous low average LCS rating was a 6.2 for the Mets’ five-game victory over the Cardinals in 2000. Turner Sports president David Levy said network executives were “still very, very happy” with their seven-year deal with Major League Baseball despite a convergence of factors leading to low NLCS ratings in their first year airing the playoffs. Rangers: Reliever Frank Francisco agreed to a one-year contract that avoided salary arbitration. The right-hander was 1-1 with a 4.55 ERA this year, striking out 49 and walking 38 in 59 games.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “He certainly had not suggested prior to last week that the purpose of asking these players to come in was to provide them with evidence, provide them with anything,” Weiner said. Until now, Mitchell has provided players only with general notice that they have been accused, giving them the year of the alleged conduct and the team they were playing for at the time. He has not told them of the substances they are accused of using. Active players generally have refused to meet with Mitchell, who is a director of the Boston Red Sox. The only active player known to have met with him was the New York Yankees’ Jason Giambi, who did so only after Commissioner Bud Selig threatened discipline for remarks in a newspaper interview. “In our view, the senator’s current statement of his position can’t be squared with substantial correspondence between the senator and the association over the course of the investigation nor can it be squared with communication and conduct directly with individuals who have been interviewed,” Weiner said. “What we’re asking him to do is clarify exactly what his position is, and then we’ll figure out what to do going forward. I don’t think what he said is accurate. It certainly is not accurate if what he’s saying, `It’s been my position since March 1, 2007.”‘ last_img

BREAKING NEWS: PADRAIG HARRINGTON WELCOMES €1BILLION GOLF TRADE CONVENTION TO DONEGAL

first_imgThe golfing industry has faced a number of significant challenges in the last few years.  To address these, Fáilte Ireland has been working with the golf industry, through a national Golf Forum, to put in place a number of initiatives that will support the industry and help it back towards growth. The Irish golfing community meets and welcomes almost 150,000 visitors annually.  Golf is one of Ireland’s greatest tourist attractions, contributing an estimated €110 million to the economy.  President and Chief Executive of IAGTO, Peter Walton, welcomed the opportunity for IAGTO members to visit Donegal. He said: “This is by far the largest and most important international golf tourism event to have been staged in Ireland and it is taking place at a crucial time when outbound golfing markets are recovering, at different paces, from the economic downturn.“This event will allow buyers and suppliers to fine tune this summer’s product and offers, whilst planning ahead for the 2012 season.” These spectacular links are complemented by an array of parkland courses which combine high-quality facilities and scenic beauty and offer a challenge to every golfer from beginner up to championship level.  Welcoming IAGTO’s decision to come to Ireland, Padraig Harrington – in his capacity as Ireland’s Golf Ambassador – emphasised what the delegates would find here. He said today: “Ireland is world-renowned for the high quality and wide choice of golf courses.“However, there’s much more than just fantastic golf. There’s award winning accommodation, a range of outdoor activities to complement a golf tour, and a unique culture and heritage that can only be found in Ireland. Keith McCormack, Head of Fáilte Ireland’s Golf Division, explained: “This is big news for the golf industry. As many of these tour operators do not feature or sell Ireland as a golfing holiday destination at the moment, they represent rich potential for significantly increasing visitors to our shores.“To achieve this, it is important to give them an opportunity to sample, for themselves, exactly what is on offer in Ireland and to get them to meet with a wide range of our golf clubs, accommodation providers, transport providers and local tour operators. IRELAND’S STAR golfer Padraig Harrington today welcomed a convention to Donegal – with tour operators with a billion euros worth of business attending a convention at the luxurious Harvey’s Point Hotel this Friday.The world’s top golf trade organisation visits Ireland for the first time this Friday – and Donegal is the place they have chosen to stay.Delegates from IAGTO (The International Association of Golf Tour Operators) will be attending a special Fáilte Ireland workshop at Harvey’s Point Hotel  where they will learn first-hand from Irish golf industry members and Fáilte Ireland representatives all about what Ireland has to offer the overseas golfer. IAGTO is the global trade organisation for the golf tourism industry.  Established in 1997, IAGTO’s membership comprises almost 400 of the top specialist golf tour operators in over 50 countries.It is estimated that IAGTO’s operators control over 80% of golf holiday packages sold worldwide (outside of Asia) and turnover of more than €1 billion per year. IAGTO hosts several workshops for their members around the world each year but this is the first time Ireland has hosted one.The workshops allow golf destinations, such as Ireland, an opportunity to give the world’s most important tour operators and buyers an experience of what this country has to offer – golf and otherwise. Ireland has been chosen to host a succession of international professional golf championships over the past number of years – from the hugely successful Ryder Cup in 2006, to the Smurfit European Open (1995-2007), The American Express WGC Championship (2002 and 2004) and the Seve Trophy in 2002 and 2007.In 2011, the highlight of Ireland’s sporting calendar will be The Solheim Cup.  This event, the ladies’ version of the Ryder Cup, will be hosted in Killeen Castle, County Meath, between 23rd and 25th September.Fáilte Ireland will continue to support and capitalise on the recently rejuvenated Irish Open, which remains a key event on the annual European Tour Calendar. Golf plays a big part in Irish tourism. There are more than 400 golf courses throughout Ireland, many set against backdrops of spectacular scenic landscapes.  Indeed, Ireland is famous for having a third of the world’s links courses. “We in Fáilte Ireland will also have our own experts on hand to promote all areas and activities available besides golf throughout Ireland. We hope to persuade these operators to sell Ireland to their clients and to significantly increase the number of inbound golfers along with the revenue they can generate for Ireland.” Mr McCormack added: “The arrival of our guests from the International Association of Golf Tour Operators is in keeping with our plans for the future development of the Irish golf industry. We need to be sharp in how we present our golf product and how we sell it abroad. “Ultimately, we need to fight hard alongside our overseas competitors for a significant share of the international golfing market and the event in Donegal this week will help us towards that.” “The Irish people really make Ireland stand out amongst other golf destinations, it’s the friendly welcome that makes a tour to Ireland memorable and will make any golfer want to return.” Fáilte Ireland has significantly increased its golf budget for 2011.  A new golfing brand has been developed – “Golf Ireland – Time to Play” – which is designed to rival competing destinations such as Scotland and Wales. A new national quality assurance scheme for golf courses in Ireland has also been introduced. This new quality standard will ensure that golfing visitors are assured of the consistency and quality of services they will experience in golf courses throughout Ireland.The move is a major coup for Deirdre McGlone and the staff at Harvey’s Point.BREAKING NEWS: PADRAIG HARRINGTON WELCOMES €1BILLION GOLF TRADE CONVENTION TO DONEGAL was last modified: March 29th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more