Fulham eyeing Besiktas defender Domagoj Vidaby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveFulham are eyeing World Cup star Domagoj Vida.Fotomac says Fulham are looking to strengthen their defence with the World Cup finalist.Croatia’s Vida – currently at Besiktas – is a target for Claudio Ranieri.Besiktas have already lost Pepe, who cancelled his contract earlier this month, so the club may try and drive a hard bargain for Vida, although their money troubles may mean that they can’t afford to be too stubborn. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Dubai: Abu Dhabi’s Etihad Airways said Thursday it lost $1.28 billion in 2018, the third-straight year the government-owned long-haul carrier has lost over a billion dollars. Since 2016, Etihad has lost a total of 4.75 billion as its strategy of aggressively buying stakes in airlines from Europe to Australia to compete against Emirates and fellow rival Qatar Airways exposed the company to major losses. In the time since, it has embarked on a cost-cutting initiative and recently announced it would restructure planned aircraft purchases from Airbus and Boeing. Also Read – Maruti cuts production for 8th straight month in Sep”Our transformation is instilling a renewed sense of confidence in our customers, our partners and our people,” Etihad Aviation Group CEO Tony Douglas said in a statement announcing the results. The airline reported revenues of $5.86 billion in 2018, down from 6 billion in 2017. It flew 17.8 million passengers last year, down from 18.6 million the year prior. Previously, Etihad reported losses of $1.52 billion for 2017 and $1.95 billion in 2016. It blamed “challenging market conditions and effects of an increase in fuel prices” in part for the loss in 2018. Abu Dhabi’s rulers launched Etihad in 2003, competing with the established Dubai government-owned carrier Emirates that flies out of Dubai International Airport only 115 kilometers (70 miles) away. Last year, Etihad began loaning pilots to Emirates under a new program.
Already embarked upon overthrowing Venezuela’s socialist government, the Trump administration is now renewing its efforts to squash Cuba as well, and Title III of the 1996 Helms-Burton Act is joining an arsenal of weapons employed by the US in what Cubans regard as genocidal aggression. This is the latest addition to the US’ long record of implacable hostility toward Cuba, which features terror attacks, military invasion, germ warfare, internal subversion, and almost 60 years of economic blockade. Devoid of natural resources and ready for US plunder, Cuba offends by having defended socialism and national independence. Also Read – A special kind of bondThe Helms-Burton law is complex, but it centres on tightening the economic blockade against Cuba, preparing for a transition government, and, by means of Title III, inflicting suffering and destabilisation. Title III opens the door for the former owners and the heirs of properties nationalised by Cuba’s revolutionary government to bring actions in US courts to gain compensation for what they lost. These live in exile, mainly in the United States. Persons or companies presently occupying such properties, or profiting from them, and who are located in third countries, would be required by the courts to pay off the aggrieved parties. Because the properties are in Cuba, the courts would lack direct enforcement capabilities, but that doesn’t mean the US can’t use the courts’ decisions to wreak havoc on Cuba’s drive for foreign investment. Also Read – Insider threat managementIn 1996, when the law was introduced, the European Union and other critics insisted that the US government delay implementation of Title III. It did so, and for the next 23 years, at semi-annual intervals, the United States announced one six-month delay after another. But a new era dawned on January 16 when the State Department declared that this time suspended implementation would end at 45 days. Something was up. On March 4, the State Department indicated that in 30 more days, Title III would be applied to the foreign and Cuban “traffickers” in nationalised properties. Also, Title III would, as of March 19, be extended to 200 Cuban enterprises controlled by Cuban security forces or state agencies, many of them connected with Cuba’s tourist industry. The US government in November 2017 had already put those facilities off-limits to US tourists. As of early April, international investors, aid agencies, and business-persons active or looking to be active in Cuba will be facing vast uncertainties. The former owners of nationalised properties may be suing them in US courts. Concerned about a slippery slope of US disfavour, they may cease involvement with Cuba. And what with unsettling news, foreign lenders may shy away from possibly risky loans for projects in Cuba. Title III promises what Cubans call “extraterritorial” effects. It further universalises the application of the US blockade which, potentially involving all countries, violates their sovereignty. But in a Machiavellian twist, the State Department will apparently wield the “trafficking” charge selectively. Cuban analyst Reinaldo Taladrid Herrero explains: “The road to Havana passes through Caracas.” Specifically, “They are going to exempt all businesses of countries allied with the United States, above all Canada and the European countries…. Implementation will be centred on adversary countries like Russia, China, and Venezuela.” Others share his views. Title III violates international law, according to Russia; Cuba solidarity groups have protested. A few business-oriented US groups oppose Title III out of concern that future US commercial ventures in Cuba would be vulnerable. Cuba’s government argues that nationalisation was and is legal according to international norms and court decisions in the United States. Cuba has sought satisfaction from the United States for deaths and destruction due to US assaults. Negotiations taking place briefly during the Obama era looked at balancing Cuba’s claims with US demands stemming from nationalisation. Title III means major trouble for Cuba. The government there is presently mounting an effort to bolster the nation’s economy. Foreign investors will assume a major role in the project. They would provide $2.5 billion annually toward building or refurbishing Cuban institutions, companies, and infrastructure. But any goodwill on their part may well evaporate once threats loom as to court actions in the United States. The availability to the Cuban people of food, health care, schools, building supplies, medicines, and transportation rests on loans and export income from abroad and on income from joint ventures with foreign entities. By 2014, Cuba needed $2.5 billion annually in direct foreign investment. The fact that food imports alone currently require an annual outlay of $2 billion suggests that current requirements are greater. Title III contains the seeds for havoc in the event that Cuba’s socialist government is no more and the United States takes charge. According to Cuba’s Granma newspaper, Cubans “would be forced to return, reimburse, or pay US claimants for the house in which they live, the area on which their communities are built, the arable land where they cultivate produce, the school where their children are educated, the hospital or polyclinic where they receive medical assistance.” Cuban Journalist Lázaro Barredo, formerly editor of Granma, summarises: “Helms-Burton literally has no precedents in the legal history of the United States. [It] constitutes an attack on sovereignty within the international community [and] represents political terrorism.” Helms-Burton would “extend US jurisdiction to other countries in an extraterritorial manner with the perverse intention of frightening, scaring, blackmailing, or dissuading persons interested in investing in Cuba.” We see a decision “to repossess the island, annex it, and move it toward total subordination to the United States.” This report closes with a condemnation of the generalised cruelty and cynicism that is rooted in the strategic thinking of US power brokers. For example, Republican Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, presiding at a Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing on March 7, heard testimony from “Cynthia Arnson of the U.S.-funded Wilson Center.” She “agreed with Rubio that ‘widespread unrest’ is useful, but cautioned that … ‘starving people don’t get out in the streets.'” In other words, a little starving is OK, but not too much.( The author practiced and taught pediatrics for 35 years and long ago joined the Cuba solidarity movement. He writes on Latin America and health issues for the People’s World. The views expressed are strictly personal)
New Delhi: Concern over the suicides of their staff, a department of Delhi Police has written to all districts and units asking them to submit the list of the police personnel who needs medical care and special attention.The city police said that they have taken different measures for the welfare of their staff. Police sources told Millennium Post that a letter was written from the office of the Special Commissioner of Police Welfare and Estate Oversight to all the districts, units including Principal PTC with the subject regarding psychological disorders of police personnel in Delhi Police. Also Read – Odd-Even: CM seeks transport dept’s views on exemption to women, two wheelers, CNG vehicles”It has been noticed that a considerable number of police personnel posted in different districts and units of Delhi Police are facing psychological disorders which restrict them from active police duties as well as developing the tendency of committing suicide,” sources said quoting the letter. Recently two cases of suicides of police personnel have come to notice in which they had been facing some psychological problems. They further added that it is directed that a list of police personnel posted under your control having psychological disorders, who need medical care and special attention, be provided to this office within a week. This has the approval of Special CP/Welfare and Estate Oversight. Also Read – More good air days in Delhi due to Centre’s steps: JavadekarThe data accessed by Millennium Post revealed that in the year 2017 more than 10 suicides were reported whereas last year as many nine police personnel took the extreme step. According to police, they took various initiatives including yoga to ease out the stress of the police personnel. A press statement of city police said that at the grass root level, yoga for the personnel shall not only improve productivity but also keep them mentally and physically fit. In the year 2018, yoga cell of Delhi Police conducted 122 camps in which 2,155 personnel participated. Another major initiative is Sampark Sabha, where senior police officers interact with the different ranks to gather information on field-oriented issues being faced by the lower functionary. By holding Sampark Sabha the grievances of police personnel can be addressed and further action can be initiated. “We also conduct health awareness camps for the police personnel,” police said. In a bid to motivate police personnel, the city police always reward cops for their bravery.
Beijing: China has formally arrested two Canadians who have been detained for months on national security grounds, a Canadian newspaper reported on Thursday, in a case that has inflamed tensions between Ottawa and Beijing. A Canadian government source told The Globe and Mail that neither Michael Kovrig, a former diplomat, nor Michael Spavor, a China-based businessman who organised trips to North Korea, have been formally charged. “Canada strongly condemns their arbitrary arrest as we condemned their arbitrary detention on December 10,” the Canadian foreign ministry said in a statement to the newspaper. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince Salman ‘snubbed’ Pak PM Imran, recalled his private jet from US: ReportThough no link has been officially made, the detention of Spavor and Kovrig is thought to be in retaliation for Canada’s December 1 detention on a US extradition request for Meng Wanzhou, a top executive of Chinese telecom giant Huawei who is accused of violating Iran sanctions. The men were first accused of activities that “endanger China’s security” — a phrase often used by Beijing when alleging espionage. China later announced it suspected Kovrig of spying and stealing state secrets and alleged that Spavor had provided him with intelligence. Also Read – Iraq military admits ‘excessive force’ used in deadly protestsTwo other Canadians convicted of drug trafficking, meanwhile, have been sentenced to death. And Beijing recently blocked Canadian shipments of canola and pork worth billions of dollars. Meng — who is currently fighting extradition to the US — is allowed to live in her Vancouver mansion, although her mobility is limited. Meanwhile, a group of Canadian parliamentarians had earlier complained to Chinese officials that Kovrig and Spavor have been denied access to lawyers, and remain in “completely unacceptable” detention conditions.
Posted: August 14, 2018 Misconduct Allegations Surface for Granite Hills Teacher KUSI Newsroom, KUSI Newsroom Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter August 14, 2018 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsEL CAJON (KUSI) – The Grossmont Union High School District, in coordination with local law enforcement, are looking into allegations of misconduct against Ryan Braun, a Granite Hills HighSchool math teacher.Braun was placed on paid administrative leave on August 8, right after the allegations surfaced. According to GUHSD officials, the alleged misconduct occurred off campus, and not during school hours.District protocol requires any employee suspected of misconduct to be placed on immediate administrative leave, followed by a “prompt and thorough” investigation.If the investigation determines that employee misconduct did happen, the district says it will take the appropriate action.