continue reading » ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr As the CFPB considers a rulemaking related to third-party debt collection, NAFCU would like to know how it could impact credit unions that use third-party vendors or credit union service organizations (CUSOs) to collect debts owed.Although rulemakings for both first- and third-party debt collection were initially contemplated, the bureau’s focus shifted to just third-party. However, a first-party debt collection rule is still possible in the future. NAFCU previously urged the bureau to exempt credit unions from any rules related to first- and third-party debt collection, as credit unions are not the bad actors in this space.In a Regulatory Alert sent to member credit unions Thursday, NAFCU outlined that the proposal would:create a new limited-content message and allow debt collectors to communicate with consumers through email, text message and social media (only through private messaging functions), though the debt collector must include instructions to opt-out of receiving communications via email or text message;
“On Oct. 30, 2019 at around five in the afternoon, Executive Judge Cecilyn Burgos-Villavert of the Regional Trial Court Branch 89 in Quezon City reportedly had a dialogue with National Capital Region acting police director Brigadier General Debold Sinas at the Quezon City Hall of Justice,” the group added. “If respondents feel aggrieved with the issuance, the proper remedy is to file a motion to quash either before the court that issued them, or before the court where the cases are eventually filed,” Hosaka said in an interview with CNN Philippines. “We are asking the Supreme Court to look into the seemingly irregular issuance of search and arrest warrants essentially based on political designs,” the NUPL said. “The Judiciary must not allow itself to be used for political persecution.” Following the issuance of the NUPL statement, SC spokesperson Brian Hosaka said in a television interview that Chief Justice Diosdado Peralta has ordered the Court Administrator to remind judges to be “deliberate, circumspect, and prudent with the issuances of warrants.” The SC spokesperson also clarified that Executive Judges of Manila and Quezon City are authorized to issue search warrants which can be implemented nationwide in certain instances and provided that the legal requirements are met./PN The group also said that they received information that Burgos-Villavert “had also issued the search warrants in different places which led to the filing of assailed charges for purported illegal possession of firearms and explosives against several activists and peace consultants.” MANILA – The National Union of People’s Lawyers (NUPL) has urged the Supreme Court (SC) to review its rules on the issuance of search warrants in light of recent arrests made against dozens of activists in Bacolod City and as well in Manila. The NUPL further questioned the arrest warrant, saying that: “Who in the Philippine National Police endorsed the application for warrant, what was the basis for issuing the search warrant, if any witness was heard, and what was the reason behind applying for a warrant in a court far from where the search and arrests took place.” The NUPL claimed that this “visitation/dialogue” occurred on the same day she issued the search warrants used in the joint police-military raids of the offices and residences of human rights defenders and people’s organizations in Negros Occidental and Manila the following day. The NUPL said in its statement that the simultaneous raids in the offices of Bayan Muna, Gabriela, National Federation of Sugar Workers in Bacolod City, and the arrest of the spokesperson of Gabriela Metro Manila and her husband in Manila is “questionable.”
An attempted armed robbery at a drive-thru ATM in Lauderdale Lakes was caught on video.Broward Sheriff’s Office deputies have released surveillance video of the attempted robbery that happened last Friday at a SunTrust branch on Oakland Park Boulevard.The video shows a woman about to use the drive-thru ATM before a man crept up and pointed a gun at her.Miranda Grossman, Broward Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman, said the gunman demanded that she enter her personal identification number into the ATM to withdraw money, but instead the woman drove away.The gunman was not able to get any cash, and he walked away empty-handed. Police say no one was injured.Anyone with information about the incident or who recognizes the gunman is asked to call Broward County Crime Stoppers at 954-493-TIPS.(Video courtesy of Broward Sheriff’s Office )
Tacoma — For 11 years, Cory E. Roberts was housed at the state’s center for sexually violent predators and for 11 years he stalled efforts to have him committed there.Last month, he won the argument and on Monday was released into Tacoma after two experts decided he did not meet the criteria for being committed at the Special Commitment Center on McNeil Island.“What stunned me about this particular defendant’s release was not only his horrific history, but his unwillingness to pursue treatment while at McNeil Island,” Pierce County Prosecutor Mark Lindquist said.The 37-year-old’s convictions include sexually and physically assaulting a 3-year-old girl in 1990 when he was 13 and living in Benton County. Roberts had responded to a baby-sitting ad and was supposed to be caring for the toddler.The child suffered permanent brain damage and paralysis as well as blindness in one eye and loss of sight in the other, her mother, Kelly McGinnis, told KIRO-TV.