This spring, Harvard University alumni can vote for a new group of Harvard Overseers and elected directors for the Harvard Alumni Association (HAA) board.Ballots will be mailed no later than April 1 and must be received back in Cambridge by noon on May 20 to be counted. Results of the election will be announced at the HAA’s annual meeting on May 26, on the afternoon of Commencement day. All holders of Harvard degrees, except Corporation members and officers of instruction and government, are entitled to vote for Overseer candidates. The election for HAA directors is open to all Harvard degree holders.Candidates for Overseer may also be nominated by petition, that is, by obtaining a prescribed number of signatures from eligible degree holders. The deadline for all petitions is Feb. 1. The HAA’s nominating committee has proposed the following candidates in 2011:For Overseer:Flavia B. Almeida, M.B.A. ’94Partner, The Monitor GroupSão Paulo, BrazilRichard W. Fisher ’71, cum laudePresident and CEO, Federal Reserve Bank of DallasDallasVerna C. Gibbs ’75, cum laudeGeneral surgeon and professor in clinical surgery, University of California, San FranciscoSan FranciscoF. Barton Harvey ’71, magna cum laude, M.B.A. ’74 Former chair and CEO, Enterprise Community PartnersBaltimoreCarl J. Martignetti ’81, cum laude, M.B.A. ’85President, Martignetti CompaniesChestnut Hill, Mass.Nicole M. Parent ’93Co-founder and managing partner, Vertical Research Partners, LLCGreenwich, Conn.David J. Vitale ’68, cum laudeExecutive chairman, Urban Partnership BankChicagoKenji Yoshino ’91, summa cum laudeChief Justice Earl Warren Professor of Constitutional Law, New York University School of LawNew York, N.Y.For elected director:Rohit Chopra ’04, cum laudePolicy adviser, Consumer Financial Protection BureauWashington, D.C.Tiziana C. Dearing, M.P.P. ’00CEO, Boston RisingBedford, Mass.Katie Williams Fahs ’83, cum laudeMarketing consultant/community volunteerAtlanta, Ga.Peter C. Krause, J.D. ’74Investment banker and real estate investorNew York, N.Y.Charlene Li ’88, magna cum laude, M.B.A. ’93Founding partner, Altimeter Group; authorSan Mateo, Calif.Sonia Molina, D.M.D. ’89, M.P.H. ’89EndodontistLos AngelesJames A. Star ’83, magna cum laudePresident, Longview Asset ManagementChicagoPatric M. Verrone ’81, magna cum laudeTelevision writer, producerPacific Palisades, Calif.George H. Yeadon ’75Managing consultant, Kodak Solutions for BusinessPittsford, N.Y.
Founded in 1970, they are the most popular and successful football club in the republic, capable of drawing 90,000 crowds for friendly matches.However, attendances have dropped alarmingly this season for most matches as the side struggled in league and cup competitions.Chiefs have traditionally preferred foreign coaches over locals and will reportedly look to Europe for a successor to Komphela.Share on: WhatsApp Johannesburg, South Africa | AFP | Kaizer Chiefs confirmed Sunday that coach Steve Komphela had resigned after a South African FA Cup semi-final loss in Durban triggered crowd violence.Club official Bobby Motaung told reporters: “The coach is stepping down with immediate effect. The results are not happening.“Steve has done a great job for Kaizer Chiefs but, unfortunately, if it is not meant to be, it is not meant to be.” A police spokesman said there had been two violence-related arrests and more were expected.Chiefs were fined 250,000 rand (about $20,500/17,000 euros) this week after supporters flung missiles at Komphela after a heavy league loss in Soweto this month. Former South Africa captain and centre-back Komphela failed to win a trophy during three seasons in charge and his contract was due to expire this June.After the shock 2-0 FA Cup defeat by Free State Stars Saturday, some of the crowd ran amok, severely assaulting a female security guard at Moses Mabhida Stadium in the Indian Ocean city.They also trashed TV cameras, audio equipment and advertising boards and burnt seats before being dispersed by police firing tear gas and stun grenades.
Submitted by Charles Zubrod for American Senior BenefitsCharles Zubrod, Retirement Advisor with American Senior Benefits.Charles Zubrod, Puget Sound resident, has joined American Senior Benefits. Offering a leadership team with over 115 years of experience serving those 55 and older, they are honored to serve the “Greatest Generation” and this mature market.“My philosophy related to the senior market is based on my personal history of experiencing the challenges confronted by my parents and family associated with my mother’s illness and the resulting financial and emotional difficulties,” Zubrod said. “I endeavor to share my experience, and educate others who may be someday faced with the same challenges.”Concerns of many mature Americans include: running out of money, premature death, cost of nursing home and home confinement, and medical bills. With American Senior Benefits, Zubrod is able to address these issues while offering a variety of options with companies providing Medicare supplement, long-term care, annuities and life insurance.As a graduate of Seattle University, Zubrod brings over 20 years experience in accounting, financial analysis, operations consulting, management and business ownership to this position. “My passion is helping individuals protect their financial assets, provide for their financial security and leave a positive legacy,” Zubrod said.For an appointment or more information, please contact Charles Zubrod at his office number: 253.244.5520. He may also be reached by cell phone: 253.686.8099. You may also find out more by visiting his website. Facebook0Tweet0Pin0
MOST READ Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college FILE PHOTO – LAS VEGAS, NV – NOVEMBER 05: WBO junior featherweight champion Nonito Donaire of the Philippines is introduced in the ring prior to title defense against Jessie Magdaleno at the Thomas & Mack Center on November 5, 2016 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Christian Petersen/Getty Images/AFPGLASGOW, Scotland — Ryan Burnett needed oxygen after being carried out of the ring with an apparent hip injury in his World Boxing Super Series bantamweight quarterfinal against Nonito Donaire on Saturday.Burnett, from Northern Ireland, took a count of seven in the fourth round after being injured. He looked in distress when he returned to his corner, and failed to come out for the fifth round as he lost for the first time in 20 fights.ADVERTISEMENT Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title LATEST STORIES Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Tyson Chandler expected to sign with Lakers Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Donaire, a 35-year-old former world champion at four weights, will take on WBO champion Zolani Tete in the semifinals next year.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back Chriss View comments
(Click here, if you are unable to view this photo gallery or video on your mobile device.) Forward Timo Meier could have a healthy long-term contract offer coming his way from the Sharks in the summer of 2019 when he’s set to become a restricted free agent.The way Meier’s been playing lately, that potential deal certainly isn’t getting any cheaper.Meier scored two goals for the second straight game Thursday and Joe Thornton netted the game-winner with 12:04 left in the third period as the …
Facebook released a completely rebuilt version of its iOS app for iPhone and iPad today, changing a fundamental aspect of the company’s mobile strategy. Gone is the Web-centric, HTML5 approach. In its place, Facebook has rebuilt the iOS app using Apple’s native framework. The result? A more streamlined, faster app for the iPhone and iPad.Ditching the Mobile WebFor earlier app versions, Facebook “wrapped” its mobile website (m.facebook.com) in code that allowed it to run on iOS and Android hardware. Items from Facebook’s newsfeed, friend’s lists and other features would be imported from the website and rendered using HTML5. Facebook would add iOS- or Android-native code that allowed the app to perform functions the mobile website could not, like accessing a smartphone’s camera. Then it would deploy this bundle on the various mobile platforms. Click here for more on how Facebook’s mobile apps were designed for “write once, run everywhere.”The advantages of this approach were several. Facebook could send updates to the app multiple times a day, so it could be very agile in addressing and fixing problems. Facebook could also support many different types of devices and platforms with one code base. The company supported more than 7,000 devices with this approach, reaching 500 million mobile users.Facebook engineering manager Dave Fetterman described the approach at f8, Facebook’s developer conference, last year:“Being able to write it once today and ship it tomorrow? That is something that Facebook is really good at and that we love doing, and that is at the center of being able to move fast. Move fast has an implicit third clause – move fast, break things, and fix things fast. That is very difficult to do if you have already shipped your binary to Apple or Android and they have to download another version of it.”Facebook’s apps on some platforms, including Windows Phone, BlackBerry and Android (as well as the traditional mobile website), are still be built this way. According to The Verge, they may be getting the native treatment in the future. But the company decided to handle iOS differently.“[W]e realized that when it comes to platforms like iOS, people expect a fast, reliable experience and our iOS app was falling short. Now that our mobile services had breadth, we wanted depth. So, we rewrote Facebook for iOS from the ground up (I really did open up Xcode and click “New Project”) with a focus on quality and leveraging the advances that have been made in iOS development,” wrote Facebook developer J.P. Dann in a blog post explaining the changes. Embracing Native, Building for SpeedFacebook achieved three main benefits by embracing native code for its iOS app. Foremost, the app now opens faster, without the lag that many users complained about. Second, scrolling is smoother. Third, photos are uploaded instantly. Facebook is now using Objective-C for its iOS app, which executes much faster than HTML5. It built the app in Apple’s iOS development framework called XCode. The transition created some challenges for the Facebook team, such as pre-caching content on the newsfeed so it would load immediately upon opening the app. A natural consequence of moving from HTML5 to Objective-C is better scrolling. Any developer who works extensively in HTML5 knows that smooth scrolling is not easily achieved. Essentially, Facebook did nothing special here to increase the scrolling outside of moving from one code base to another. Facebook has released two other native applications to iOS: Messenger and Camera. The Messenger feature within the main Facebook app is the same code in the standalone Messenger app. In many ways, Dann explains, the Messenger app was the testing ground for the new Facebook app, helping the Facebook mobile team learn how to develop with native code and how users would respond to the app. Why Rebuild for Native?Facebook has been a firm believer in HTML5 and Web-based technology. The pillar of Facebook’s platform has always been the browser. Why change now?The obvious reason is, as Dann explained, speed and efficiency. Facebook’s iOS app is certainly better now. It is hard to begrudge a company for making a product better, even if it goes against the historic principles of that company.Another reason, a conspiracy theory perhaps, is that Apple forced Facebook to rebuild its mobile app for iOS if it was going to get the deeply embedded treatment in the upcoming release of iOS 6 that Twitter got in iOS 5. One of the biggest threats of Apple’s dominance in mobile is the potential for an open Web-based market independent of Apple’s App Store. Facebook has been one of the biggest proponents of HTML5 and many developers follow the company’s lead in this area. By forcing Facebook to go native, Apple wins a philosophical victory in the war for the hearts and minds of mobile developers. Tags:#Apple#apps#Facebook#mobile Role of Mobile App Analytics In-App Engagement dan rowinski Related Posts Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces What it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech … The Rise and Rise of Mobile Payment Technology