Ex-Suffolk Police Chief James Burke Pleads Guilty To Beating Suspect, Coverup

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York By Rashed Mian and Christopher TwarowskiDisgraced ex-Suffolk County Police Chief James Burke pleaded guilty to federal civil rights violations and conspiracy charges Friday for beating a suspect and ordering police to cover it up. Burke was arrested in December 2015 on allegations by federal prosecutors that he had beaten Smithtown resident Christopher Loeb while in police custody two years earlier and coerced police officials who had witnessed the beating to lie to investigators about what they’d seen. Appearing clean shaven, without his trademark mustache, in a dull green prison jumpsuit, Burke told U.S. District Court Judge Leonard Wexler in Federal District Court in Central Islip that he “willfully used force and slapped and hit the individual” causing bodily harm.“I plead guilty, your honor,” an emotionless Burke said before a packed courtroom.Government prosecutors said Friday had Burke’s case gone to trial it would have included 11 officers who would testify to the beating, with several also testifying to the cover up. Prosecutors also stated they are seeking 51 months of prison for Burke, who has no right to appeal that length unless Wexler approves additional time for the former police chief.Burke, who had originally denied the charges, had been held without bail since his arrest, with Wexler deeming him a danger to the community.Robert Capers, US Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, in a statement, chided Burke for violating “his oath and responsibilities as a law enforcement officer by exacting personal vengeance, assaulting a handcuffed suspect, and abusing his authority.” Federal investigators had long since alleged that Burke had assaulted and threatened to kill then-24-year-old Loeb while in police custody at the Fourth Precinct station house on Dec. 12, 2012. Loeb had stolen a duffel bag from Burke’s SUV that contained sex toys, pornography, Burke’s gun and ammunition belt, among other items. Investigators had also alleged Burke forced police present during the beating to lie to federal investigators.While Loeb was shackled in an interrogation room, Burke punched and kicked him, grabbing him by the ears, shaking him and declaring: “You want to steal from me?” according to court documents. He also threatened to give Loeb, a heroin addict, a “hot shot”—slang for a lethal overdose of the drug.Prosecutor James Miskiewicz said in December Burke’s porn was his “motivation for beating the hell out of Loeb.” Burke had retired in October amid reports of a federal investigation into the incident, enjoying an annual salary of more than $230,000 until then, along with a retirement payout of more than $430,000.Outside the courthouse, Loeb’s attorney Bruce Barket, who is representing him in a civil case regarding the assault, told reporters his client “feels vindicated by this,” explaining that Loeb “was treated with scorn for a number of years.”Burke’s admission “essentially proves our case,” he added.Also after the proceeding, one of Burke’s attorneys, Nancy Bartling, read a letter from Burke that says his guilty plea “reflects his deep desire to accept responsibility for his actions.”“[Burke] acknowledges his lack of judgement and failure in leadership,” she continued. “Under no circumstances will Mr. Burke be cooperating with the U.S. Attorney’s Office [or] the Suffolk County Police Department in any way.”“It’s a sad day for him, it’s a tough day for him,” added Burke’s other attorney, Joseph Conway, also suggesting that other officers involved in the conspiracy have either pleaded guilty or will do so soon. Nellin McIntosh, spokeswoman for the US Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York, said she had no comment when asked about Conway’s statement. However, Capers, the US Attorney, said the investigation is ongoing, adding “we will seek to hold accountable anyone who violates another’s civil rights or attempts to obstruct justice.”Following Burke’s indictment in December, Capers left open the possibility of further arrests. “Stay tuned,” he told reporters. Suspicious LegacyBurke was just 14 years old when he took the stand as a witness for then-prosecutor, current Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota in one of the county’s most heinous and well-publicized crimes—the murder of 13-year-old John Pius, Jr., of Smithtown, whose lifeless body was discovered beaten and suffocated with rocks stuffed down his throat. Burke’s testimony helped convict four local teenagers for the slaying; one was later overturned. Following in the footsteps of his father and grandfather, Burke spent a year as a New York City police officer in 1985 before joining the Suffolk County Police in 1986 at 21, first as a patrolman in North Amityville and later as an undercover narcotics officer. He later spent a decade in the Suffolk district attorney’s office as chief investigator under Spota.Despite his meteoric ascent up the Suffolk County Police Department’s ladder, however—capped with his appointment as police chief in 2012 by Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone—Burke has never been a stranger to controversy.The 30-year SCPD veteran was the subject of an Internal Affairs investigation in 1995 that concluded allegations he “engaged in a personal, sexual relationship” with “a convicted felon known to be actively engaged in criminal conduct including the possession and sale of illegal drugs, prostitution and larceny,” “engaged in sexual acts in police vehicles while on duty and in uniform,” and “failed to safeguard his service weapon and other departmental property” were “substantiated,” according to its report, first obtained by Newsday.Burke also came under fire in 2012, the same year as his crowning as police chief by Bellone, for his perplexing disbandment of the highly successful Suffolk County Police Department component of the FBI’s joint Long Island Gang Task Force—its dissolution the subject of a Press cover story “Turf War: Is SCPD Playing Politics By Leaving FBI’s LI Gang Task Force?”Yet instead of discipline, Burke repeatedly received promotions, with Bellone and Spota facilitating his rise through the ranks.last_img read more

Benitez: Race to go down to wire

first_img The Blues have now lost three successive away games in the league and dropped below Tottenham into fourth place, with fellow London rivals Arsenal just two points adrift in fifth. Despite the result Benitez reckons no-one will be certain of a Champions League position until the very end of the campaign, and said: “It is the same situation, if we had three points more it would be easier. We still have one game in hand and we have to carry on and concentrate and move on and start thinking about Monday (FA Cup quarter-final replay v Manchester United).” Chelsea interim manager Rafael Benitez maintains the race for a top-four finish in the Barclays Premier League will run until the end of the season despite seeing his much-changed side slip to a 2-1 defeat at Southampton. Press Associationcenter_img He went on: “In the league you still have a lot of games and I think it [the battle for a top-four finish] will run for the rest of the season.” First-half goals from Jay Rodriguez and Rickie Lambert handed Mauricio Pochettino another prized scalp, with Chelsea briefly drawing level courtesy of a John Terry header. Pochettino, who has now won three, drawn three and lost three games since replacing Nigel Adkins as Saints manager in January was quick to defend his Chelsea counterpart following the game. “I have a lot of sympathy [for Benitez’s position],” he said. “I fully recognise the job that he has done. For me he is one of the best managers in the world and he has my full respect for what he has achieved in football.” The win against Chelsea follows earlier home successes against Manchester City and Liverpool and Pochettino believes beating some of the league’s biggest names can only boost the morale around the club. “Victories like those of today prove that we are on the right path,” he said. “It is very important for the confidence of my players and especially the people surrounding our club – the technical staff. It is important that we believe we can achieve results as we saw today and we can continue achieving them in the future.” last_img read more

Australian racing driver Renee Gracie joins adult film industry to tackle financial crisis!

first_imgImage Courtesy: Getty/InstagramAdvertisement s3xstwNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vs9d3Wingsuit rodeo📽Sindre Eudn( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 33n4Would you ever consider trying this?😱b8wfzCan your students do this? 🌚6xj7kRoller skating! Powered by Firework Often times, many athletes and sportspersons face financial struggles in their careers, and some of them decide to take a switch, and look into other career options to tackle the crisis and to comfortable. However, Renee Gracie puts up a bizarre example. The Australian racing driver decided to leave her motorsport career behind, to join adult film industry!Advertisement Image Courtesy: Getty/InstagramRenee Gracie, the 25 year old driver from Brisbane made the decision to leave her track days behind last year, and has been reportedly earning a jaw dropping $25,000 a week in her new profession!The former Dunlop Super2 Series driver took to a live session on Instagram to share the experience about her new career.Advertisement “I’ve made a lot of money, it’s not even been two months yet and I can probably confidently say that by the end of 2 months, I will be close to six digits. The money has been so good and it obviously made me do it longer and made me wanna make sure that I could be successful,” Gracie said on Instagram.The first ever full time Aussie female V8 Supercars driver has joined the renowned content subscription service OnlyFans, which has helped her recover from the economic crisis she faced during her time behind the steering wheel.Advertisement “It has put me in a financial position I could never have dreamt of and I really enjoy it. I sell those photos and people tip me. I have a 30-year housing loan that I am about to pay off in 12 months,” she added.While Gracie has revealed that her family has been very supportive of her decision, many of her racing days supporters and other critics have expressed dislike and disgust over her switch to the adult industry, but she is the least bothered by it.“People think by being mean to me, it’s gonna upset me or I am gonna care but it’s not actually like that,” Gracie responded, “I don’t need like touch a stranger or something and no amount of money can make me do that.”If you like reading about MMA, make sure you check out MMAIndia.com Also follow India’s biggest arm wrestling tournament at ProPanja.comAlso read-Ishant Sharma caught calling Darren Sammy ‘kalu’ on social media postPaytm and Riot Games to host Teamfight Tactics Tournament: prize pool of Rs 75,000! Advertisementlast_img read more