Solomon Dalung The Minister of Sports and Youth Development, Solomon Selcap Dalung, has commended Peak milk, the number one dairy brand in Nigeria, for devoting valuable resources to the development and sustenance of the para-powerlifting sport.Dalung in his welcome address at the opening ceremony of the Lagos 2019 International Para-powerlifting Competition said: “The success story of which we are all part of today is the outcome of support and contribution of our prospective partners in the country. I want to recognise and appreciate the contribution of FrieslandCampina Wamco Nigeria, producers of the household brand, Peak milk among other products, who have remained a reliable, ever willing and supportive partner in the progress of the Para-powerlifting Federation in particular and sports development in Nigeria in general.“FrieslandCampina Wamco, has been of tremendous support to Nigeria Para-powerlifting Federation in many ways including the following Peak milestones, which includes the refurbishment and equipping of the para-powerlifting gymnasium of the National Stadium Lagos in 2018,” Dalung recalled. The Minister also outlined Peak’s sponsorship of the para-powerlifting athletes to a tournament in Dubai last year and the company’s donation of a wheelchair accessible bus to convey athletes to their various destinations with minimum stress.While acknowledging the Minister’s commendation, Marketing Director of FrieslandCampina Wamco, Chris Wulff-Caesar, who also sits on the organising committee of the competition expressed confidence that with the nutritional values of Peak milk, the para-powerlifters will finish tops at the end of the competition.“We are solidly behind you Unstoppables and we believe you will reach for your peak at this competition”, the Peak milk executive said.Seven African countries including host Nigeria are participating in the competition that is expected to round off on Wednesday. The countries are Ghana, Guinea, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Cote d’Ivoire and Tanzania.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Young Dragons were defeated yesterday at the stadium Kosevo by Kazakhstan with the result 1:2, within the second round of qualifications for the European Championship 2017 in Poland.This is the second defeat of young footballers of B&H in the Group 9, after they were defeated as guests by Norwegians with 0:2.Kazakhstan scored two goals in the first half-time. Haris Hajradinovic decreased the lead in 58th minute, after a great shot.(Source: nap.ba)
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — A spokesman says the Iowa Department of Public Safety will hand over internal misconduct records to a federal grand jury investigating a trooper after unsuccessfully fighting a subpoena in court. The 8th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled late last week that the department must comply with the subpoena, which seeks internal investigation records related to an officer who is under scrutiny for possible civil rights violations. The department had asked the courts to quash the subpoena, saying that it would have a chilling effect on internal investigations. A federal judge and the appeals court upheld the subpoena, saying the department failed to show it was unreasonable. The ruling doesn’t identify the officer under investigation.
Reese Tambellini of Nelson and Bradley Ross of Trail also scored for Kootenay.Curt Doyle of Nelson was solid between the pipes for Kootenay.“We deserved a better outcome on Sunday,” Jones said.“I was proud of the kids.”Saturday, Valley West held period leads of 3-0 and 5-0 before coasting to the win.Ben Evanish scored three times to lead the Hawks.“It was a total tem struggle on Saturday from the goalies to defencemen to the forwards,” Jones admits.Kootenay, consisting of players from Castlegar, Cranbrook, Trail, Nakusp, Nelson, Vernon, Vanderhoof and Vancouver, is back on the road again, heading Saturday to Kelowna to meet the fourth-place Okanagan Rockets in the first game of a weekend series.Jones is hopeful the Ice players can feed off of Sunday’s strong play.“If continue Sunday’s efforts (this weekend) we should be able to come away with points.”Kootenay is currently tenth in the 11-team league, with a record of 1-6-1.Next home game for the Ice is October 31 when Cariboo Cougars visit the NDCC Arena. The Kootenay Ice rebounded from a lackluster performance to come close to knocking off the Valley West Hawks in BC Hockey Major Midget League action Sunday at the NDCC Arena.The Hawks rallied from a first period deficit to edge the Ice 5-4.The opening game of the two-game series was no contest as Valley West skated to an 8-0 shutout.“Finally played a solid 60 minutes,” said Ice coach Brian Jones following Sunday’s one-goal loss.“Just shows we can compete with the best in the league with that consistent effort.”Kootenay led 2-1 after the first period as Connor Seib of Trail and Hunter Floris of Vanderhoof scored just over a minute apart to erase a 1-0 Valley West lead.The Hawks outscored Kootenay 2-1 in the second period to send the teams into the dressing room tied at 3-3.The teams exchanged goals early in the third before Josh Bruce scored the winning goal midway through the frame.
ARCADIA, Calif. (Oct. 22, 2016)–Sent hard from the gate, trainer Kenny Black’s Acceptance proved extra game in deep stretch, as he held off a tenacious Richard’s Boy to win Saturday’s $100,000 California Flag Handicap under veteran Stewart Elliott. Bred in California by Old English Rancho, the 4-year-old colt by Vronsky got 6 ½ furlongs down Santa Anita’s hillside turf course in 1:11.51.Breaking from post position six in a field of seven California-bred or sired runners three and up, Acceptance out-dueled the runner-up going to the half mile point and was able to secure an inside position at the rail prior to crossing the dirt at the top of the lane. From there, he was all heart to the wire as he fended off serious challenges from both Richard’s Boy and favored Boozer, who ended up finishing fifth.“He was tough today,” said Black, himself a former top apprentice rider in the early 1980s. “I thought they had him two or three times, but he just dug in. You’ve got to be proud of him. He really showed a lot of heart today…I just told Stewart (with whom Black rode as a young tyro) to meet me in the Winner’s Circle…I don’t even want to think about what race might be next. I want to give him more time between races.”Owned by Finish Line Racing, LLC and the Ellwood Johnston Trust, Acceptance, who was off at 5-1, paid $12.20, $6.00 and $4.00. A two-time stakes winner on dirt as a juvenile, Acceptance garnered his fourth win from 11 overall starts. With the winner’s share of $60,000, he increased his earnings to $366,803.“He’s a nice horse,” said Elliott. He’s got ability and he tries. He’s pretty quick himself, but that was a good post…I rode him last time (a close fifth place allowance finish down the hill on Sept. 30). Kenny said he’d put me right up there or be very close and that was it.”Ridden by Victor Espinoza, Richard’s Boy held off late closer Somethings Unusual by a half length for the place. The narrow second choice in the wagering at 7-5, Richard’s Boy paid $3.20 and $2.60.Last after the first half mile, Somethings Unusual rallied wide-out under Drayden Van Dyke and finished third, 1 ¼ lengths in front of McHeat. Off at 15-1, “Something” paid $5.00 to show.Fractions on the race were 21.49, 43.19 and 1:05.47.
St. Benilde Lady Blazers. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netSt. Benilde strengthened its bid for a Final Four spot after stomping Mapua, 25-18, 25-15, 25-17, in the NCAA Season 93 women’s volleyball tournament on Thursday at Filoil Flying V Centre.The Lady Blazers, who still have a game left in their schedule, improved to 5-3 and tied Jose Rizal University at fourth place with the end of the tournament’s elimination round approaching.ADVERTISEMENT OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson LATEST STORIES Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Almazan vows to comeback stronger after finals heartbreak Nonito Donaire vs Naoya Inoue is BWAA 2019 Fight of the Year The Lady Cardinals, meanwhile, wrapped up their campaign with a 0-9 record.St. Benilde head coach Arnold Laniog used the game to give exposure to some of their bench players heading into the Final Four.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folk“Our target today was to perform what we did in practice and also to improve in the areas we need to master if we want to go further,” said Laniog in Filipino. “And we gave a chance to some of our players to feel what it’s like playing in front of a crowd.” Optimism surrounds six-team PFL with new season kicking off next month Michael Porter Jr. stays patient as playing time increases MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Nueva Ecija warehouse making fake cigarettes raided, 29 Chinese workers nabbed Newsome sets focus on helping Bolts open new PBA season on right track Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:54Praise, festivities at Quiapo Church ahead of Black Nazarene’s return01:06Anti-US rally in Manila against attacks in Iraq02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award View comments
Donegal-based actor Danny O’Carroll and the Good and New Cancer Shop have been named among the latest list of tax defaulters.Revenue has named Mr O’Carroll and the cancer charity among 73 individuals who have made settlements totalling more than €12 million.Mr O’Carroll, who lives in Manorcunningham, is the son of comedian Brendan O’Carroll and plays Buster Brady in the popular Mrs Brown’s Boys shows. Mr O’Carroll made a settlement of nearly €126,000 in tax interest and penalties for underdeclaring income tax and for the non-declaration of Capital Acquisitions Tax.In a response to the case, Mr O’Carroll told Independent.ie: “I was recently subject to a Revenue Audit , some issues were identified and as soon as these were agreed the appropriate tax, interest and penalties was immediately paid in full.”The other Donegal case on the ‘name and shame’ list by Revenue was Letterkenny’s Good and New Cancer Shop. The shop raises money in support of the Donegal-Galway cancer bus.The charity shop, based off the Port Road in Letterkenny, settled for almost €105,000 over under-declaration of PAYE/PRSI and USC. Mrs Brown’s Boys actor and Donegal charity shop on Revenue defaulters list was last modified: March 6th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Revenuetax defaulters
A trader on the floor of the Ghana Stock Exchange in Accra, Ghana. (Image: Jonathan Ernst, World Bank)• Elena GexCommunications: World [email protected]• Zibu SibandaCommunications: IFC221 33 859 [email protected]• Cara Santos PianesiCommunications: [email protected]• Connecting small business to the world can help Africa thrive • Mobile phone boost to African internet • CNN’s Richard Quest examines the rise of Africa • Seven reasons to be optimistic about Africa• Diaspora dollars spur African developmentStaff writerThe World Bank Group has announced it spent a whopping US15.3-billion on development projects in sub-Saharan Africa during the financial year from July 2013 to June 2014 – a new record – most of it in zero-interest credits and grants from the International Development Association (IDA), the bank’s fund for the poorest countries.“Africa is making significant progress,” Makhtar Diop, World Bank vice president for Africa, said in a statement. “‘We applaud the improved policies and prudent fiscal decisions many governments have made and we will continue to provide financing through loans and grants, technical expertise and to mobilise our unique convening power to leverage the resources of other development partners.”The bank contributed $10.6-billion in new lending to 160 projects over the year, including $10.2-billion in zero-interest credits and grants from the International Development Association (IDA) – the largest sum the IDA has delivered in any region in the World Bank’s history.The work of the bank’s International Finance Corporation (IFC) in the African private sector focused on building infrastructure and introducing new business approaches to help drive growth and job creation. During the year the IFC invested more than $4.2-billion in the continent: $3-billion went to IDA countries and some $800-million to fragile and conflict-ridden states. The IFC also spent $55-million on advisory service programmes in the region, 96% of it in the poorest countries.The Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (Miga), also part of the World Bank Group, issued guarantees of $515-million to projects developing oil and gas, power, services, and telecommunications. The agency also teamed up with the Overseas Private Investment Corporation to establish a $350-million political risk facility to support planned investments in sustainable agribusiness in some 13 sub-Saharan African countries.In collaboration with individual countries, the bank focused on regional projects in sustainable energy, irrigation, water management, and food security, as well as in job training programmes for the youth, the prevention of malaria and other tropical diseases, and social protection for poor families.Fragility and emergency actionDuring the year, the World Bank also ramped up efforts to act quickly and effectively in emergency situations in Africa. In response to the crisis in Central African Republic, it delivered over US$70-million to help restore government services and support food distribution and healthcare.Major regional initiatives by the bank also tackled fragility and conflict. In November 2013, World Bank Group president Jim Yong Kim pledged $1.5-billion to boost economic growth and lift the people of Africa’s Sahel Region out of devastating poverty. Kim’s pledge came during an historic joint trip to the Sahel with UN secretary-general Ban Ki-moon.Investment in renewable energySub-Saharan Africa has abundant hydropower resources, yet only 10% of its electricity-generation potential has been harnessed. Boosting access to affordable, reliable, and sustainable energy is a primary objective of the bank’s work in Africa. During the 2013-2014 financial year, its projects focused on developing hydropower potential and providing new forms of sustainable power.In a major push, the IFC, Miga and the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) – another World Bank Group entity – launched a joint Energy Business Plan for Nigeria. This will support Nigeria’s energy reform programme and help increase generation capacity by some 1 000 MW, while also tapping into nearly $1.7-billion of private sector financing for Africa’s largest economy.The bank also supported the 80-megawatt Regional Rusumo Falls Hydroelectric Project in Burundi, Rwanda, and Tanzania, and provided a $100-million grant to Burundi for the Jiji-Mulembwe hydropower project. Both projects are set to link millions of people to the power grid.Improving agricultural productivityThe World Bank also supports countries’ individual efforts to improve agricultural productivity by linking farmers to markets and reducing risk and vulnerability, as well as increasing rural employment, and making agriculture more environmentally sustainable. Projects supported over the year included investments to improve pastoralism through community development and livelihoods in Ethiopia, boosting agribusiness in Senegal, and innovations in landscape management, notably in the Sahel.Higher education centres of excellenceHigher education plays a key role in promoting economic growth and development especially for Africa’s fastest growing population group, the youth. The World Bank is one of the largest financiers of higher education on the continent. Its new $150-million Africa Higher Education Centres of Excellence project is funding 19 university-based institutions for advanced education in West and Central Africa. This will support regional specialisation among participating universities in mathematics, science, engineering and ICT.
Saif Ali Khan made heads turn with his new look as he stepped out of Mumbais Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport sporting blonde hair and a set of brand new tattoos splashed liberally on his left arm and fingers.Girlfriend Kareena Kapoor was at the airport to receive him as Saif returned from Mauritius after finishing a shooting schedule for his upcoming zombie comedy, Go Goa Gone , which he has also produced.”These are Aztec symbols that symbolise peace and harmony. I have got the tattoos because they ward off the evil eye,” Saif said.The blonde hair, the actor said, was part of his look in Go Goa Gone . He plays a member of the Russian mafia who is hunting for a zombie. The hair, he said, “adds to the character”. “I have tried to experiment with my look in the film as it is an altogether different character from all that I have ever played,” he said.This is not the first time that he has got himself inked. Earlier, he had etched Kareena on his left forearm.Saif seemed to be enjoying showing off his new tattoos to the press, even as the lensmen missed no chance to click away.In 2008, Saif created a buzz when he got Kareenas name tattooed on his forearm.The tattoo has been tactfully concealed in his films but the latest set of tattoos that he has acquired will obviously be visible in his upcoming projects.Apart from Go Goa Gone, Saif is also shooting for Abbas- Mustans Race 2 . He will have to get rid of his blonde look for Race 2 , of course.advertisement”The look in Race 2 is an extension of what it was in the first film. In the sequel, though, I will look more muscular and sport more tattoos on my arms,?? Saif, who had acquired a lean look for his latest releases, Agent Vinod and Cocktail , said.For Race 2, he added, he has hired a new trainer to get into the beefy mode. He is shooting for the first leg of the film in Mumbai and is cast opposite actor Deepika Padukone.