Wei Cao | The Observer Participants in last year’s Take Back the Night event march around Notre Dame’s campus to raise awareness for issues of sexual assault before ending the night with a prayer vigil at the Grotto.The Notre Dame community will come together Thursday evening to attempt to start a dialogue on sexual assault and hear stories from survivors.“Take Back the Night” (TBTN) is an annual event that has been a collaborative effort between Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s for over a decade. This year, Holy Cross College will participate and the event will be sponsored by the Gender Relations Center (GRC) at Notre Dame and the Belles Against Violence Office at Saint Mary’s College (BAVO).The event will take place from 6:30 to 9 p.m. and start at Lake Marian at Saint Mary’s. The march will continue to Notre Dame for the sexual assault survivor speak out, ending at the Grotto with prayers and meditation for sexual assault survivors.“Having a safe and supportive environment in which to share one’s journey of healing is really important, both for individuals and for the community,” Regina Gesicki, assistant director for educational initiatives for the GRC, said.Gesicki said the event signals all three college campuses’ commitment to ending violence of all kinds and to strengthen hope for a future where all play a part in prevention.“We raise our voices, first as individuals so deeply impacted, [and] then in action while marching through campus, and finally, in song and prayer as a community of faith,” she said.Gesicki, the Notre Dame staff representative on the planning committee for Take Back the Night, said the event aligns with the GRC’s mission to create a healthy campus culture and create a community that honors the human dignity of each person.“Interpersonal violence results from someone choosing in a most egregious way to devalue another,” she said. “By supporting survivors, and encouraging intervention in instances of harm, we can begin to recover the dignity and value that each one of us intrinsically possesses.”Christine Caron Gebhardt, director of the GRC, said offering a safe space for sexual assault survivors to speak out forces others to face the reality of the prevalence of sexual assault on college campuses.“My hope that is when folks hear the stories of their peers they will be compelled to do something about it — not everything, but something to prevent this from happening in the future,” she said. “So as a result, TBTN reinforces the messages of GreeNDot by clearly stating that violence is not ok at Notre Dame and by being part of TBTN you are playing a part to change our culture at Notre Dame.”Survivors of sexual assault may not report for a multitude of reasons such as not wanting to recount the incident or fearing social retaliation Gesicki said.“Take Back the Night provides multiple modalities for those impacted to share their stories, whether through the Speak Out, through chants during the March or through prayer and song at the vigil,” she said. “Being heard by those who support is an important step in healing.”Gebhardt said the silence around sexual assault is created by the disbelief that it happens at Notre Dame campus, despite the data revealed, victim-blaming and the unwillingness to help someone because of not wanting to get involved.“All of these factors create a culture where survivors and victims feel isolated,” she said. “There is no one thing everyone has to do. We just need everyone to do something. If that happens, then Our Lady’s University is a place where violence toward others are prevented and the dignity of all is protected. Ultimately, we live out our mission to be our brother and sister’s keepers.”Tags: Gender Relations Center, sexual assault prevention, Take Back the Night
Miller said she had a petition signed by 750 Covina residents opposing the project. Residents said the buildings would ruin the undeveloped feel of the neighborhood. The development would would have 171 apartments. Other concerns aired were increased density, the potential removal of up to 250 trees, a 27-foot retaining wall, plus traffic, noise and dust from construction. City staff acknowledged that passing the plan would require giving Masonic Homes, the nonprofit senior complex at 1650 East Old Badillo St., an exception on 14 building codes required by the residential zone where it is located. Some of the exceptions include the height of buildings, the number of people on the property, and the removal of several large, old oak trees. More than 20 people spoke at the meeting. Masonic Homes only takes in seniors who belong to the Freemasonry organization, a centuries- old fraternal order with chapters all over the country. People who spoke in favor of the project identified themselves as Masons who hoped to move into the new senior apartments. The City Council voted to delay action on the issue until October. [email protected] (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2105160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! COVINA – At the end of a late night facing down angry residents, the City Council postponed a decision on a senior housing project. The expansion of the senior center on East Old Badillo Street would include four new apartment and activities buildings, eight townhome and duplex structures, a skilled nursing center, and a memory care center. At Tuesday’s packed council meeting, most of the people complaining about the project said they would back plans for the northern portion of the property. “We are residential,” said Cookie Miller, a resident who lives near the project. “Please respect that and build within the code.”
An American fashion designer is about to help young Donegal students realise their dreams of getting into the rag trade. Sheila Clancy-O’Donnell came to live in Letterkenny with her young family after spending 25 years in the fashion industry in Manhattan.Now having developed some classes with students at Loreto Convent in Letterkenny, Sheila has set her sights on hosting an evening course at the LYIT. Sheila got her idea to run a fashion course after a visit to the Ardara weavers.Weavers told her it was so difficult to get new workers coming through.“I just thought it was so sad that there is a huge demand around the world for tweed and we have this rich tradition on our doorstep in Donegal.“So I thought ‘why not teach our youth about the opportunities right at their back door? My good friend was a fabric buyer who bought tweed from Donegal for Ralph Lauren in New York, so this fabric was part of my fashion history before I even moved here. “There’s always talk about what Ireland doesn’t have, why not prove to everyone what we DO have!“My goal is to inspire anyone who has a love of fashion to learn all about the ins and outs of the trade. To gain insight to decide if this is an avenue they want to go down,” she said.In developing the course, Sheila has had tremendous help from Magees Weavers of Donegal town, John Rocha, Dublin and John English Linens of Co. Down.Many Letterkenny retailers have also offered to come on board to assist with this program.Here’s the link to LYIT http://www.lyit.ie/courses/lifelonglearning/llfash/AMERICAN FASHION DESIGNER READY TO TURN RAGS TO JOBS FOR DONEGAL STUDENTS was last modified: September 4th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:FashionLYITSheila Clancy-O’Donnelltweed
Imagine the first Martian astronauts coming home confused, impaired and demented. This is the risk from solar radiation on Mars, say a group of NASA medical researchers (see RxPG News). Among the gravest risks of a manned flight to Mars ranks the possibility that massive amounts of solar and cosmic radiation will decimate the brains of astronauts, leaving them in a vegetative state, if they survive at all. Dubbed “Risk 29” by NASA’s Mars scientists, the cosmic radiation risk remains a show-stopper because shielding a spacecraft from all radiation could make it too heavy to reach Mars, which, at its closest, is 38 million miles from earth. The kinds of radiation astronauts could be exposed could be like that from a nuclear disaster, one of the researchers said, because, “The sun is basically a big nuclear reactor.” Though we are much closer to the sun, we are “shielded on Earth by the atmosphere and the Van Allen Radiation Belts” which Mars lacks. Incidentally, James Van Allen, who discovered these life-saving belts around Earth, passed away last month at the age of 91 (see JPL press release). He was the last from a famous 1958 photo showing three space pioneers holding a replica of the first US satellite, Explorer 1, high overhead in victory at a press conference. Alongside him were William Pickering and Wernher von Braun. Movie scriptwriters never bring up these problems on Star Trek and all the other space thrillers. Fact is, it’s a shooting gallery out there. High-energy particles would rip into our flesh constantly were it not for our protective bubble here on God’s green earth. (Visited 12 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0
A trader on the floor of the Ghana Stock Exchange in Accra, Ghana. (Image: Jonathan Ernst, World Bank)• Elena GexCommunications: World [email protected]• Zibu SibandaCommunications: IFC221 33 859 [email protected]• Cara Santos PianesiCommunications: [email protected]• Connecting small business to the world can help Africa thrive • Mobile phone boost to African internet • CNN’s Richard Quest examines the rise of Africa • Seven reasons to be optimistic about Africa• Diaspora dollars spur African developmentStaff writerThe World Bank Group has announced it spent a whopping US15.3-billion on development projects in sub-Saharan Africa during the financial year from July 2013 to June 2014 – a new record – most of it in zero-interest credits and grants from the International Development Association (IDA), the bank’s fund for the poorest countries.“Africa is making significant progress,” Makhtar Diop, World Bank vice president for Africa, said in a statement. “‘We applaud the improved policies and prudent fiscal decisions many governments have made and we will continue to provide financing through loans and grants, technical expertise and to mobilise our unique convening power to leverage the resources of other development partners.”The bank contributed $10.6-billion in new lending to 160 projects over the year, including $10.2-billion in zero-interest credits and grants from the International Development Association (IDA) – the largest sum the IDA has delivered in any region in the World Bank’s history.The work of the bank’s International Finance Corporation (IFC) in the African private sector focused on building infrastructure and introducing new business approaches to help drive growth and job creation. During the year the IFC invested more than $4.2-billion in the continent: $3-billion went to IDA countries and some $800-million to fragile and conflict-ridden states. The IFC also spent $55-million on advisory service programmes in the region, 96% of it in the poorest countries.The Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (Miga), also part of the World Bank Group, issued guarantees of $515-million to projects developing oil and gas, power, services, and telecommunications. The agency also teamed up with the Overseas Private Investment Corporation to establish a $350-million political risk facility to support planned investments in sustainable agribusiness in some 13 sub-Saharan African countries.In collaboration with individual countries, the bank focused on regional projects in sustainable energy, irrigation, water management, and food security, as well as in job training programmes for the youth, the prevention of malaria and other tropical diseases, and social protection for poor families.Fragility and emergency actionDuring the year, the World Bank also ramped up efforts to act quickly and effectively in emergency situations in Africa. In response to the crisis in Central African Republic, it delivered over US$70-million to help restore government services and support food distribution and healthcare.Major regional initiatives by the bank also tackled fragility and conflict. In November 2013, World Bank Group president Jim Yong Kim pledged $1.5-billion to boost economic growth and lift the people of Africa’s Sahel Region out of devastating poverty. Kim’s pledge came during an historic joint trip to the Sahel with UN secretary-general Ban Ki-moon.Investment in renewable energySub-Saharan Africa has abundant hydropower resources, yet only 10% of its electricity-generation potential has been harnessed. Boosting access to affordable, reliable, and sustainable energy is a primary objective of the bank’s work in Africa. During the 2013-2014 financial year, its projects focused on developing hydropower potential and providing new forms of sustainable power.In a major push, the IFC, Miga and the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) – another World Bank Group entity – launched a joint Energy Business Plan for Nigeria. This will support Nigeria’s energy reform programme and help increase generation capacity by some 1 000 MW, while also tapping into nearly $1.7-billion of private sector financing for Africa’s largest economy.The bank also supported the 80-megawatt Regional Rusumo Falls Hydroelectric Project in Burundi, Rwanda, and Tanzania, and provided a $100-million grant to Burundi for the Jiji-Mulembwe hydropower project. Both projects are set to link millions of people to the power grid.Improving agricultural productivityThe World Bank also supports countries’ individual efforts to improve agricultural productivity by linking farmers to markets and reducing risk and vulnerability, as well as increasing rural employment, and making agriculture more environmentally sustainable. Projects supported over the year included investments to improve pastoralism through community development and livelihoods in Ethiopia, boosting agribusiness in Senegal, and innovations in landscape management, notably in the Sahel.Higher education centres of excellenceHigher education plays a key role in promoting economic growth and development especially for Africa’s fastest growing population group, the youth. The World Bank is one of the largest financiers of higher education on the continent. Its new $150-million Africa Higher Education Centres of Excellence project is funding 19 university-based institutions for advanced education in West and Central Africa. This will support regional specialisation among participating universities in mathematics, science, engineering and ICT.
Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Star triathlete Nick Baldwin during the press conference for 2019 Century Tuna Ironman 70.3 in Subic. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netSUBIC, Zambales—The stinging heat in the Philippines isn’t just messing with the locals, it’s also affecting peak athletes who are used to performing at the mercy of the weather.Nick Baldwin, the winner of the 2018 full Ironman face, said the blistering temperatures in Subic Bay could play a major factor in the Ironman 70.3 in Subic Bay Sunday morning.ADVERTISEMENT View comments He singled out Tim Reed, winners of Ironman 70.3 Asia Pacific Champion, (2015 and 2016), 2019 Ironman 70.3 Port Mac and 2018 Ironman 70.3 Sunshine Coast.“All the guys present their own strength but you got to look at Tim Reed, a former World Champion in this distance,” said Baldwin, who’s the first person from Seychelles to win the full Ironman. “Amongst the other guys, he’s the one we’ll keep an eye out.”“I wouldn’t say I’m the favorite, certainly there are other athletes who are far more accomplished, but I’ve got good memories from Subic. Subic is good to me last year and hopefully, it’ll be good to me this year.”ADVERTISEMENT Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games PLAY LIST 00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew ‘Rebel attack’ no cause for concern-PNP, AFP Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue LATEST STORIES Two-day strike in Bicol fails to cripple transport Temperatures reached upward of 30 degrees for the past two days in the coastal city and the same could be expected for race day.“The condition looks like it’ll be hot all day this year, last year we had a storm that came through that cooled us off so we stood it a little bit,” said Baldwin during the race’s press conference Saturday at Boardwalk Tent.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics“I think it’s going to be hotter this year than when it was last year, it’s possible it’ll be hotter and more difficult than last year.”Baldwin added that even though he won the inaugural full Ironman in the Philippines, there are still competitors in the field that should be considered favorites. Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Catholic schools seek legislated pay hike, too Rookie CJ Perez lifts Dyip to 1st win with career performance PDEA chief backs Robredo in revealing ‘discoveries’ on drug war Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ